Genre research, and writing to market are two key components of a successful self-publishing business. Nothing is more important if you actually want readers to pick up your books and pay you royalties.
Too many authors and waters bypass the research stage because, frankly, it can be boring and confusing at times.
This is why I tend to use the skills and research of others to give me a leg up before I dig deeper and begin reading in a particular genre, and absolutely before I start writing or commission someone else to write for me in that particular readers pool.
There are two places I would recommend to start with.
Read Chris Fox’s ‘Write To Market’.
Many authors write, then market. Successful authors write TO market
Have you written a book that just isn’t selling? Would you like to write a book that readers eagerly devour?
Many authors write, then market. Successful authors write TO market. They start by figuring out how to give readers what they want, and that process begins before writing word one of your novel.
This book will teach you to analyze your favorite genre to discover what readers are buying, to mine reviews for reader expectations, and to nail the tropes your readers subconsciously crave.
Purchase Relevant Reports, or a Subscription to K-Lytics
By far one of the best and most comprehensive resources for discovering new genres, and researching potential markets. The reports are sometimes over analytical, but accompanying videos help to unravel the data so you can set out on your journey to discover more already armed with the knowledge that this sub-genre is a winner if I play it right.
If you have any of the following questions, K-lytics is for you:
- How to find the “best” genre if you start on a clean sheet of paper as a writer or publisher?
- If you already have a genre of choice, how to find the most profitable niches within it?
- How to invent new genres and themes based on blending the best niches that already exist?
- How to improve book categorization for maximum book exposure and sales?
- How to find book markets and best seller lists where you can achieve “instant” bestseller status?
- How to improve your timing of publicising in certain niches taking into account seasonality?
- How to maximize profits by knowing the price levels for any niche genre?
Aside from monthly or annual subscriptions that offer ongoing insights to current trends, K-Lytics also offers specific reports covering popular sub-genres. You can browse them all here in the K-Lytics Shop or check out individual reports below.